Friday, February 3, 2012

why asia? why aid?

already two months have gone by since i live in PP. so, as you can imagine, i already have a home, two cool flatmates, french and german (which is something i really appreciate, cause people always tend to hang out with their nationals when they are abroad, and that is really something that doesnt fit me at all), i have a bike that i love love love, i have started a routine, that i also like to have since it had been a very loooong time since i actually remember having one (do i actually remember ever having one?), anyways it was a moment in my life when i was in need of routine actually!

Coming back to Asia meant starting a new life, meeting new people, living in a new landscape with new weather, arriving to a new job... If I have to be sincere, I think I arrived with some prejudices, comparing cultures at the beginning, -with my nepali life from years before, and there is no way this can be compared to Nepal!-...and that is maybe why it was difficult to adapt in the beginning. Moral: never ever comparisons are good. Let the new overwhelm your soul!
Plus, everything has changed for me! I don't work or live with locals, as I used to do in the land of the Himalayas, the ones i have met that can speak proper english so as to understand more than to buy tomatoes..., have a good job that meaning that they are actually kind of well off and communication is not always easy with these STEREOTYPING (meaning not all): new rich in poor countries who only think about a new car, big houses and girls...-prostitutes?-.

about my aid career and the whys...
I still believe in it, i am aware of the real reality, want to be responsive and I think that we shouldn't let this world in the hands of the powerful without any resistance (there is a lot of ways of doing this), so us, the people, as individuals also need to make a difference (in your job, in your buying list, as a consumer, with your neighbours, anyhow!), even if we cannot do all we would love to, due to international (forced) agreements, intl. organisations, etc...;
because I don't resign myself to these impositions, I want to learn and try to find a way for change;
because poverty isn't a question of charity, is a question of justice. i have to align my personal thoughts with my job and this is one way, and , besides, i really enjoy learning from other cultures and other ways of experiencing life;
because we are unsustainable and greedy, and it looks to me that the major gadget that drives the world is called 'dollar', and i am not kneeling down to it and that way of life;
because...

i am young, i am learning, i am creating myself and i will feel the pros and the cons, the mixed feelings, the issues, the relationships, the daily ups and downs, and make up my mind of what could be a next step i would desire for my own path. But i definitely think that only good can come out from this experience ;)

lots of love to all, and waiting for all of you with my arms big opened in the "Pearl of Asia"!

1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szs2QMsNer8

    :)

    ReplyDelete